Thursday, May 26, 2011

House Rulz 5

First, I want to thank everyone who is coming here to check out the strip.  I hope you find enough potential here to continue to come back. 
Comic strips are a unique art form.  Unlike other story telling mediums a comic strip is an ever evolving creation.  A movie, a novel, and even a comic book, all come to you as a completed product.   Typically you do not get to witness the evolution of the art.  However, a comic strip is much more intimate.  With every new strip you see how the artist struggles and learns lessons and improves.  You also see the characters evolve and develop as they move towards stable personalities.
Perhaps the best example is the Peanuts.  If you ever get an opportunity, look at the first few months of the Peanuts.  It has very little in common with the strip that would later become the most popular comic strip in the world. 
In no way do I mean to compare myself to the great Charles Schultz; but like Peanuts, House Rulz continues to evolve.  I have drawn 32 strips so far, and I think the quality of #32 versus these first five strips shows considerable improvement.  And my test audience has confirmed my feelings; they say the strip continues to improve. 
Today’s strip is a very good example of what I am talking about.  This strip is my least favorite.   In fact my original plan was not to post this strip at all.  But a couple of my test audience listed it as one of their favorites.  So I decided, what the heck do I know; I am putting my work out here warts and all. 
So stick with me.  It only takes 30 seconds to read the strip and three or four minutes to read my ramblings (I am a little long winded today).  Let’s see where this takes us.  It should be fun.
Now on to today’s Character Bio:

Caellen: 
Caellen is the middle child in the House family.  She is 13.  Caellen thinks she is a goth girl, but deep down she still likes Disney Princess and Hello Kitty.  Gaming is not as important to Caellen as it is to most of her family.  But if she could only get her Dad to throw in more vampires she could really have fun. 

1 comment:

Arkhein said...

That's funny. In my games, i have two stock incantations.

The first is:

Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

And the second . . .

Ooga-chacka ooga-chacka ooga-ooga-ooga-chacka.

Those two seem to cover any spellcasting eventualities that ever come up. :)

- Ark

Post a Comment